Oct. 16 – Oct. 19
· Review capitals and states by watching and singing along with a video of Southern Border States. Play a matching game with note cards.
· Discussion: How did Indians travel? Pass out celery sticks and raisins to represent canoes made from logs. While the students eat their snack discuss different kinds of Indian boats. Add the definition of the bullboat to their vocabulary sheet.
· Discussion: What games did Indians play? Play the game “Which Hand is It In? in partners. Students take turns hiding a small object in their hand behind their backs.
· Discussion: How did the Indian’s way of life change once the Europeans began to explore America? Students read pp. 26 – 27 and write a short answer on a sticky pad.
· Test on Explorers for students that were absent or students that need to retake test.
· Read about the biggest change to the Indian way of life on p. 28.
· Research, read and discuss the lives of John Eliot, Roger Williams, David Brainerd, and John Wesley, missionaries to the Native Americans. Divide class into 4 groups to research designated missionary on the web.
· Review capitals and states by watching and singing along with a video of Southern Border States.
· Reconvene and share facts about the lives and ministries of each missionary.
Take notes on teacher-made study sheets with pictures of the 4 missionaries.
· Finish vocabulary list and Chapter 3