First Grade News – Sept. 28
Reminder: You can drop off your child anytime between 8:00 and 8:15. After 8:15 they are considered tardy.
Dear wonderful families,
We enjoyed discovering more about our identity in Christ last week. Each child learned about one of the meanings of their name and how God knows us by name. We watched a potter make an apple out of clay and learned that God formed us for His glory. We will continue studying about our identity in Christ (until Christmas break) during our chapel times. “I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”
The October Scholastic book order is coming home today. If you wish to order books please have your order in by Oct. 5th. You may order with the paper copy or online. If you order online please use the classroom code on the back of the form (M9MXR). Thanks.
Here is a summary of what we will be studying next week:
• The combination of wa changes the sound of the short a to an “aw” sound, as in water, wash, etc.
• Review ff, ll, ss, zz and “al” combinations
• Fluency practice
• Unit 4 Subtraction.
• Math words to practice: most, fewest, more, less, altogether, how many are left, equal, square, circle, rectangle, triangle, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, zero
• Writing our numbers to 100
• Test on Thursday
• Handwriting practice – lines and circles. Try to emphasize making the letters the same size
• Journal writing – Writing 2 complete sentences
• Fluency practice with phonics readers
• High frequency words at an individual level
• Words this week: hop, mop, pop, top, stop, drop, crop, chop, shop, not
• Sentence with a capital and a period: Pop will not stop at the shop.
• Test on Thursday
• Read 20 minutes each day and practice the first 25 high frequency words.
• Send in your Boxtops for Education.
• Wear tennis shoes and send in a water bottle every day.
Have a great week. Blessings, Mrs. Rensink