First Grade News November 9
Reminder: No school Nov. 22-26
Dear wonderful families,
Please let the office know if your child is not going to attend the Thanksgiving feast (an all school feast provided at school at noon) on Nov. 21. That way we can plan the right amount of food.
Scholastic Book order forms are coming home today. If you wish to order please have your order in by Thursday, Nov. 16. The online code is: M9MXR. If you wish to use the books for Christmas just send me a note and I will keep them a secret for you.
Here is a summary of what we will be studying next week:
• The silent e rule at the end of a word: the final e makes the single vowel long (ex: make, pile, mute)
• Unit 6: Numbers to twenty
• Addition and subtraction to 20
• Handwriting practice – letters with straight lines
• Journal writing – Writing complete sentences with a capital and period
• Using describing words
• Fluency practice with phonics readers
• High frequency words at an individual level
• Practicing comprehension and recognizing characters in a story
• Words this week: bunk, dunk, hunk, junk, sunk, stunk, trunk, clunk, chunk, shrunk
• Sentence with a capital and a period: The chunk shrunk in the trunk.
• Test on Thursday
• Read 20 minutes each day and practice the first 50 high frequency words. Fill in the reading calendar to receive a free book and free pizza certificate at the end of each month. Send in your Boxtops for Education. Wear tennis shoes and send in a water bottle every day.
Have a great week.
Blessings, Mrs. Rensink