First Grade News November 16
Reminder: No school Nov. 22-26
Dear wonderful families,
We have a short week next week – just two days. We will be having our Thanksgiving feast and talent show on Tuesday afternoon. Thank you for sending in the supplies and the $5 for the Thanksgiving feast.
We had a very special chapel last Tuesday. Many children were touched with the presence of God. Mr. Fickess also gave an opportunity for the children to receive Christ as Savior in Bible class. Many children prayed to receive Christ. It is a great time to have spiritual discussions with your child.
Dec. 13th at 10 am we are going to see the Nutcracker for children with 2nd through 6th grade.
Here is a summary of what we will be studying next week:
• Finish up the silent e rule at the end of a word: the final e makes the single vowel long (ex: make, pile, mute)
• Unit 7: Shapes
• The difference between 2D and 3D shapes
• Handwriting practice – letters with straight lines
• Journal writing – Writing complete sentences with a capital and period
• Using describing words
• Fluency practice with phonics readers
• High frequency words at an individual level
• Practicing comprehension and recognizing characters in a story
• Words this week: be, he, me, we, she, the, ye, is, with, I
• Sentence with a capital and a period: She is with me.
• Test on Tuesday
• Read 20 minutes each day and practice the first 50 high frequency words. Fill in the reading calendar to receive a free book and free pizza certificate at the end of each month. Send in your Boxtops for Education. Wear tennis shoes and send in a water bottle every day.
Have a great week.
Blessings, Mrs. Rensink