First Grade News December 7
Nutcracker Ballet – December 13- Please be early-leaving at 8:05
Christmas program – 14th at 2:00
Dear wonderful families,
Next week is a special week for dressing up. Monday – wacky hair and ugly sweater. Tuesday – dress like a Christmas character. Wednesday (our trip to the ballet) – fancy day. Thursday – Black pants and white top for Christmas program (bring also white or black gloves). Also Miss Sharrona is having a Christmas shop from Dec. 11-14 for children to buy things for family members. If you choose you may send in money with your child to purchase items. All proceeds go to raise funds for a mission trip to the Dominican Republic.
On Dec. 18th it is Pajama Day and our Elementary Party in the afternoon. We are asking for $1 to help with the expenses of the party.
Dec. 19th is a half day with dismissal at 11:00 a.m. We will have our class party that morning. If anyone would be willing to help with food on the 19th I need drink pouches for 10, cookies and individual ice cream cups. Please contact me at if you can help with food.
Here is a summary of what we will be studying next week:
Phonics: Review of level 2 and testing
• Unit 9 – Weight
• Test on Thursday
• Handwriting practice
• Journal writing – Writing complete sentences with a capital and period
• Writing an original story with 2 characters and a problem
• Fluency practice with phonics readers
• High frequency words at an individual level
• Practicing comprehension and recognizing characters in a story
• Words this week: bike, dike, hike, like, mike, pike, spike, strike, trike, alike
• Sentence with a capital and a period: I like my bike.
• Test on Thursday
Read 20 minutes each day and practice the first 75 high frequency words. Fill in the reading calendar to receive a free book and free pizza certificate at the end of each month. Send in your Boxtops for Education. Wear tennis shoes and send in a water bottle every day.
Have a great week. Blessings, Mrs. Rensink